Thursday, November 13, 2008

Okay, Fine. I'll Post.

(All right, so I just played through the Mirror's Edge demo like, twice. I think I'll go ahead and write something.)

I've been in a Field Experience class this semester. It has me observing teachers in a rural and an urban setting, and right now, I'm at Carney High School. And thus, the post begins.

So far, it's been a little bit of a sad affair; Carney is a teeny, tiny little town about, what, maybe 30 miles south of Stillwater? Anyway, the town population, according to the sign at the entrance to town, is 649. Yes, three digits. Being in this place, talking to the students, seeing the kind of businesses and buildings in the town, all of it just makes Enid seem huge. (I guess that's kind of common sense, though; 50,000 is substantially larger than 649.) These kids don't value so much their education, they don't like to read, and I'm pretty sure that most of them have no idea how big the world is. Like, at all.

But I guess things were a little different for me today, because I got to actually get up and teach them. It was quite the experience. Specifically, I got to get up and teach them about literary devices. We talked about hyperbole, simile, metaphor, symbolism, personification, imagery, onomatopoeia, and another one that I just can't seem to think of no matter how much I wrack my brain. It was a little strange teaching the same lesson to eighth graders all the way through to eleventh graders, but it was still a cool experience. I think my favorite part was how un-nervous I was to begin with, not to mention how I felt by the end of the day. Anyway, I don't think there was a whole lot remarkable about the day that's really worth sharing about, and I'm getting so distracted that I think my writing is going to crap, so I think I'm going to call it good. Point is, I had a good day, I got to teach, and it made me eralize that everything I do like this makes me more sure that this is what I want to do. For realsies.

EDIT: I thought of the eighth literary device. It was paradox.

I'll write a better post later. Fallout 3 is calling again. (I have such a short attention span.)

No comments: